Friday, December 21, 2018

December 21, 2018

Celebrations
Traveling to Japan to support my daughter was an experience I will cherish forever. How lucky am I to return to a community who stops me to ask how they are doing and to welcome me home. I am humbled by your care and support.
Many of you asked me about it, so I promised to share. One thing that really struck me about the Japanese - they seize any opportunity to celebrate. They have their own cultural celebrations and then they fully embrace American celebrations. 

I paused to appreciate the purpose of celebrations - the wonderful sense of connection that is created between people. 

Enjoy the special days ahead - time moves quickly and these precious times will be memories you will hold in your heart forever.

Wishing you so much joy,
Ms. Deborah




My grandson,
Arlo Jameson Hargus
This is my daughter and grandson at Zama Shrine.
Japanese newborns are given a special celebration called
Hatsu Miyamairi
 to wish them
good health and a happy life.
A Japanese friend arranged this special celebration.

Deborah, Morgan, Arlo, Roosevelt and Ben







Kaori, my new Japanese friend, showing me the hat and backpack that first graders wear.
Kids in Japan purchase a backpack in kindergarten and use it through sixth grade.
I wanted to buy one to bring back to show our first graders, but they cost $600.00!


Three years ago Kaori's daughter came home from kindergarten and announced she wanted to learn English so she could talk to the Disney Princesses. Kaori said they would need to make an American friend to learn English. And so they did...and three years later they are both fluent in English!

 Lucky for me because Kaori arranged for me to visit her daughter's elementary school! This was a traditional, public elementary school in her neighborhood. I learned so much and was actually a little giddy being able to have a an authentic glimpse into another culture. 


Roosevelt, Deborah and Japanese elementary school principal

The racks where students take off their street shoes.

The canvas shoes they wear inside the school.

Students serve one another lunch in their classrooms.
This is first grade.

The playground.

Doing the custodial work.




Yes, I felt a little like Alice in Wonderland!
And... they made me take my street shoes off and wear plastic slippers.



Two story, cement buildings.



A sixth grade classroom.
I saw no technology in any classroom.
30 plus students in each class.

A sample of first grade writing.

First graders getting a bucket to wash the bathroom floor.

First grade classroom.
Look closely and you'll see they are making calendars for December

I was so shocked to see our holiday symbols.




Kids stay in their classroom and eat at their desks.

Student writing displayed in the hallway.

More classroom decorations.

Third grade classroom


Third graders sang a traditional Japanese song for me.

First graders playing at recess.

Look closely and you see bread! They get a slice of bread once per week - otherwise it is rice.
See the cloth mats spread below the tray? These are their lunch kits they bring from home. Includes a cup, toothbrush and toothpaste

They love everything American and Disney.
So many more pictures, experiences and reflections than could ever be shared. If you get the chance to go to Japan - GO!


















5 comments:

  1. Wonderful! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am grateful that you had this eye opening and joyful experience, and even more so that you shared it with us. I hope that school knew that the BEST principal from the land of Disney Princesses was visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

  4. What a wonderful trip! Thank you for sharing with us! Its so fun to see the differences and similarities in our schools. Congratulations on your newest grandson! He's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love seeing the pictures of the Japanese school! How wonderful to incorporate students in the cleanup of their school, it instills responsibility early on! What a great opportunity for you!

    ReplyDelete