Tuesday, May 9, 2017


Greetings Renaissance Community,
I'm excited to share with you the new hires that will be stepping into the big shoes of those staff members transitioning to Renaissance Secondary School. We have attracted and hired some fabulous, experienced,  and inspiring educators who have personal philosophies and vision that are a perfect match for Renaissance!


Performing Arts... 
Welcome Josh Rigo



I am so excited to be joining the Renaissance Crew as the Performing Arts Teacher!

From my experience teaching young learners, I know that elementary school students are capable of doing AMAZING things, and we are going to do just that here at Renaissance. My goals are for each student to develop a love and appreciation of the arts that will last a lifetime, and for every one of my students to have the skills they need to pursue performing at whatever level they desire--whether it be in the backyard, on Broadway, or anywhere in-between. Studying performing arts is also a study of humanity, so it is my hope that kids leave my classroom with a better sense of who they are and how to be good people, as well as a deeper understanding of our world and the beautiful diversity within it.

Aside from performing my own shows in the basement of our house as a kid, my first "big" experience in the arts was in 5th grade when I convinced our music teacher to put on our school’s first musical, Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat...and to let me be Joseph! My love of the performing arts had officially been sparked, and I could not get enough of it. From that point on, I was in every school performing arts group that one could be in, performing in plays, musicals, choirs, dance showcases, and even a comedy improv troupe. I continued my studies at the Metropolitan State University of Denver where I graduated with a Bachelor of Arts in Music (focusing on voice, piano, and composition) and a Theatre minor. I also spent a year studying at Vermont’s New England Center for Circus Arts (NECCA), training 40+ hours a week in aerial dance and circus arts. Since NECCA, I’ve enjoyed teaching aerial dance to all ages and levels in Colorado’s vibrant circus community. I am a very active member of the Denver theatre community, as well, having performed in dozens of plays and musicals with several different theatre companies over the years. A highlight for me was in 2014 when I received the Best Actor award at the Colorado Theatre Festival for my portrayal of Treplev in the two-person play The Nina Variations, which we also performed at the 2015 National Theatre Festival. 

When I’m not at school or in a show, I love to travel. I have been to 40 countries and counting, and started a photo travel blog along the way. You can find my photos on Instagram @WanderWithJosh.


As a Colorado native, it is truly a dream to have found this teaching position at such a fantastic school right here at home. I am looking forward to exploring the vast world of performing arts with the kids and becoming a part of the Renaissance community!





 Ms. Hanni is moving to Renaissance Secondary School which created an opening in fourth grade. We made a shift internally and have placed Ms. Jenny Henry in fourth grade with Mr. Tyler. This created an opening in third grade with Ms. Samantha. 

Third Grade...
Welcome Sahvanna Hughes!



Hi! My name is Sahvanna Hughes and I am so excited to be a part of the Renaissance family this year! I have been teaching for almost eight years now and I have worked with kids of every age my entire life. My favorite things about teaching are being a witness when a child learns something new for the first time, and watching a child find a passion for something.  I am a Colorado girl born and raised and I love everything about our state. I spend most of my free time outside with my husband and my two boys who are three and one. We especially like to camp, fish, and hike. I can’t wait for all of the new adventures that lie ahead.


Fifth grade...
Welcome Catherine Lawrence!


Hi! My name is Catherine Cichon and I am thrilled to be joining the crew at Renaissance! Walking into the building, I knew early on that I had found a special place, and the more I become acquainted with the students, the staff, and the learning community, the more confident I become that I have found a home among like-minded learners and leaders.

While I have been teaching in various cities (and countries) for the past 10 years, I began my Colorado teaching career in DCSD. I hold two master's degrees in education and continue to see myself as a student of my craft.  I have taught third through sixth grade, and am making the return to DCSD after teaching 5th and 6th grade in Englewood. I love working with intermediate elementary students as they begin to build broader connections and go more in-depth in the application of their learning--their curiosity and conversations keep me on my toes and inspire me to foster a community that is safe, hands-on, and full of opportunities to set high goals and push one another in our risk-taking and perseverance. 

Outside of school, I am enjoying newlywed life--I got married on April 1st (no joke) to my husband, Danny, and we just moved into our first home in Littleton. I have a 10 year old stepson named Max, who has turned me into quite the Nerf gun enthusiast, and two cats, Howie and Snuffs. We're both originally from the Chicago area (Go Cubs!), but we can't imagine living anywhere other than Colorado. I love hiking, camping, finding fantastic local restaurants, and settling in with a good book and a great cup of coffee.



Discovery 5/6...
Welcome Karen McMurray



I am thrilled to be part of the Renaissance Crew! I believe in authentic, experiential learning opportunities, and challenging oneself to grow and stretch every day. I passionately believe in the strength of the human spirit and empowering students to be their most awesome selves.



I hold a bachelor's degree from Western Washington University in English/Theatre, with a minor in Geology, and a master's degree in Education from UNLV, and come to Renaissance with over a decade of teaching experience in Washington, Nevada, and Colorado. I am quite a "Renaissance educator," having professional areas of expertise in English, reading, literacy across the curriculum, cross-curricular development, theatre arts, earth/physical/life science, and rock climbing. I have led students in a variety of learning experiences: indoor and outdoor rock climbing, Future Problem Solving, dance teams, flash mobs, theatre productions, Thespian Society, field trips to Zion National Park... Prior to becoming a professional educator, I led field geology experiences in western Washington State, worked as a grain combine driver, managed a cucumber greenhouse in England, DJed an 80's radio show, and stage managed theatre productions, among other things. My family and I  currently live on a ranch in Castle Rock, with our dog and eight chickens. 


I love to hike, bike, rock climb, cook, kayak, play Settlers of Catan, run, read, attend live music and theatre performances, travel, and eat fresh seafood. My current favorite podcasts are Ted Radio Hour and Hidden Brain.

No comments:

Post a Comment