Wednesday I had the opportunity to observe integration and collaboration at work. Sixth grade students were designing and learning about illustrated field journals. Collaboration was done in advance between Ms. Lisa and Mr. Josh, our art teacher Ms. Pam and our instructional specialist Ms. Noreene to prepare a lesson. Together, as a teaching team, they led students, as a collaborative team, in the first steps of creating illustrated field journals. Students learned about observation, contour sketching, page layout, thumbnails, guided free writing, labeling and revision. What a joy to watch learning in action! Integration is bringing several contents together in one learning experience.
e.

Students learned the difference between a sketch and a drawing.
The purpose of an illustrated field journal is to:
* Develop the artist/writer eye/skill
* Deepen sense of place
* Fill up pages
* The concept of restatement rather than erase
* A simple sketch bring back the event/memory
Then, after the initial learning experience, students took their field journals outdoors.
Students will use their skills of recording observations, thoughts and data in their illustrated field journals all year long as they work as scientists and historians in the field.
What a great lesson (or series of lessons)! The students all look so engaged. I am so glad that I could see this. Thanks for sharing.I had no idea that there was so much involved in an illustrated field journal.
ReplyDelete